Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Egg Allergy



From pregnancy I always knew that Jaxson was at a higher risk for allergies due to family history, but I really wasn’t expecting for him to have an egg allergy. For his first birthday, I made Jax's cake, (I used box cake mix and made the fondant myself) so there wasn’t really much egg in it and the egg that was in it was cooked. He ate a bit of it and was totally fine.


            
Made with so much love!!!!

I have given him hard boiled egg alone to taste in the past and both times he has gotten sick with diarrhea and vomiting. Now on the date of his baptism we had an amazing cake (Thanks Taryn and Xabriel!!!) but it landed it us in the ER. I had a parenting FAIL and didn’t think that having some cake would make him sick. Well, I was WRONG!!! Jax wanted nothing to do with eating the cake which was fine but he had stuck his finger in the frosting and then rubbed it on his face. In a matter of 2 minutes my handsome boy looked like a little swollen toad :(. I quickly grabbed him and ran with Arturo and my brother to the closest ER which was like 1 minute away. We figured that it would take longer for the ambulance to get there than for us to get him to the ER ourselves. 
Coconut cake with strawberry filling...yummmmm
  


 I don’t know why Jaxson's reaction to egg is just progressively getting worse :(. Now this brings up a whole new set of worries.... EVERYTHING has eggs. He can have baked goods with a little bit of egg in it, but nothing that has raw eggs in it. After googling 'egg allergy' one of the first things that came up was 'egg allergy and vaccines'. It dawned on me. Some vaccines have some sort of egg in them. I already made Jax's 18 month well visit and am looking forward to asking his pediatrician her thoughts on the matter. I really want to get Jax tested for other allergies seeing that his dad is allergic to an array of things.


Question of the day:
Have you ever had a child that had an allergic reaction to a food or medicine? Are there any questions that I should be asking his pediatrician? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diana, you are not alone.. My oldest son is allergic to zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is used in balmex, desitin and many other diaper rashes and lotions. He would break out in hives and swell instantly. Till this day I am terrified to try anything that has zinc oxide in fear that he hasn't out grown it. I learned to read everything!!!!! Before I put it on him. My other son Jonas who is only 2 has a food allergy that we haven't been able to figure what it is... There is something he is eating that makes him break out in hives as well. We have tried pinpointing but have had no luck.. As it has happened when he has had a full meal. I would see if he can have an allergy test done. Since Jonas allergy isn't deadly we opted not to test him just yet as its many needles and a process. Good luck with your new journey as its not a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do LOTS of research! My daughter was allergic to dairy & peanuts. She outgrew the dairy allergy, but she still has the peanut allergy (at 9.5 years old).

    Know ALL of the names for possible egg products. Read ALL labels. Our pedi told us that usually the first encounter with an allergy food doesn't show much of a reaction, but each reaction after that can happen quicker and be worse.

    My daughter has had 2 reactions from encountering peanuts. First one was contact..she broke out into hives, and the 2nd was ingested peanuts in a granola bar. Her throat started to swell shut. So we have to carry an epipen and benadry everywhere we go to be safe.

    You could try an elimination diet with your son to see if he reacts to any other foods. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete